You may have observed a proliferation of stop and search security check points in some states in Nigeria, recently. This is attributable to the present level of insecurity in the country.
You may therefore wish to take note and observe the following:
- For your own good, whenever law enforcement agents (men in uniform) stop a vehicle you boarded, please remain calm and avoid hissing or grumbling or making phone calls. Whether you are a man or a woman, show some respect.
- If carrying a laptop with you, please ensure the receipt (original or photocopy) is also with you.
- If you don't have a means of self identy (from your school, workplace or business), then make sure you have your national ID card or driver's licence. This is very important.
- Always delete your bank alerts and transfer sensitive information into flash drive or memory card. Keep your financial transactions away from your phone.
- Carrying more than one ATM card can cause you serious problems in our present day Nigeria. Be warned.
- If you must move at night, no matter how close to your house, take your ID card and let someone go with you.
- Dress responsibly - this can save you a lot of problems. Looking haggard or rugged and wild may earn you serious trouble.
- If you are given car to run an errand, make sure all necessary documents, including your driving license are intact and up to date before you hit the road.
- When your car is being searched, don't look away in annoyance, unconcerned. They are doing their job. So pay close attention to what is going on, to avoid had I known.
- If you are not sure of what someone is carrying in a bag or sack, please ask before you accept to give the person a ride. You may be arrested for something you know nothing about.
- In case you decide to assist a stranger with a ride, when he/she comes down, move forward a little, park and search your car before you continue, to avoid incriminating objects that may have been left behind, knowing or unknowing.
©Aba BUSINESS Pages